Monday, 31 December 2012

New York Update Saturday + Sunday

On our second day full day, I went to meet with a designer for Buffalo Jeans with a few other people from my course, it was nice to talk to someone who has made it big in New York, from just going over there for a week 14 years ago, where she got a job with Donna Karen and has grown from there. 

We then made our way to the 9/11 memorial site, where we spent a long time in the museum, which was so sad and thought provoking. It was just incredible, the stories from people and the videos explaining how they managed to clear up the sight afterwards. 
When it was starting to get dark we had a guided tour around the memorial site, our tour guide was a survivor from this terrible event, his office was on the 83rd floor of the first tower. He told us his amazing story of how he and two other people from his office survived. It was so moving and upsetting, it sounds cheesy but I really was blessed to meet him. 
We then got to see the memorials at night, which is so beautiful, the waterfall looked as if it was strands of silver flowing into the darkness, here's some photo's.

We also saw the new towers that are being built, including the beautiful freedom tower.

After this humbling and emotional experience we met up with the other girls we were with to go on the Staten Island Ferry, to see the Statue of Liberty. It was difficult to see her, because some of the flood lights, which light her up were damaged when the hurricane hit New York last month. But it was still a nice little trip, and to see the New York skyline at night was amazing. 
Afterwards a few of us decided to go to the Hard Rock Cafe for our final Dinner in New York, you can't go to New York without going to Hard Rock! It was the best night, there was a guy using cutlery as drum sticks on the bar which got more and more impressive as the songs went on. Our waitress was a babe and the food was delicious, I had chicken and beef fajita's.

Our last half a day, it was the first day that was bad weather, the sun had disappeared and the rain clouds were out, I'm glad I packed my umbrella! New York was obviously upset we were leaving so soon.
The girls and I went ice skating in Central Park where I watched them by the side - last time I went ice stating I twisted my wrist badly and I didn't want that to happen again, and be in pain throughout my flight home. Maybe when I go next time I'll finally buck up the courage. 

We did so much in the time we had, I was shattered by the time I got home and it all caught up with me.
I felt bad as when I returned home my boyfriend came round, however within a few hours I was sound asleep, I was physically not able to keep my eyes open! He went home after I woke up, and then I went straight back to sleep not waking up until 5pm the next day and I had work at 6pm! 
But it was worth all the tiredness because I was able to make some great friends and spend a good few days in New York City, my new favourite city.
Has anyone else been to New York? What was your favourite bit?

No comments:

Post a Comment